This is the time of year when I start to avoid turning on the oven at all costs. So what’s for dinner when it’s too hot to cook? Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken! You can have this tasty chicken in the slow cooker doing its own thing while you’re enjoying a lazy summer day. Plus, unlike a hot oven, the slow cooker won’t make your AC work overtime. ;)
This slow cooker BBQ chicken is almost too easy to be true. Just add some seasonings to boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cover them with your favorite BBQ sauce, and press go. A few hours later, the chicken is tender, tangy, so saucy, and delicious!
What Size Slow Cooker to Use
My slow cooker is about 5 quarts and it was only about ¼ full, so you could definitely use a smaller cooker if you want, but I wouldn’t go any larger. Some slow cookers need to be filled a minimum amount to avoid cracking, so make sure to check your owner’s manual first.
What Kind of BBQ Sauce to Use
You can literally use any type of BBQ sauce for this chicken. I tested the recipe using a very basic and inexpensive BBQ sauce just to make sure it was still delicious on a budget, but you could certainly ramp it up by using a fancier BBQ Sauce. You can also play around with different flavors of BBQ sauce, like smoky, honey, pineapple, spicy, etc.
How Do You Serve Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken?
The classic way to serve this chicken is on a bun, like a classic BBQ chicken sandwich. Make sure to add some coleslaw and pickles to make it extra delish! But you can also use this BBQ chicken for tacos, pizza, bowl meals, on a baked potato or sweet potato, on nachos, or even on a salad.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
- 2 tsp smoked paprika $0.20
- 1 tsp garlic powder $0.10
- 1/2 tsp salt $0.02
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked pepper $0.03
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1.3 lbs. total) $6.49
- 18 oz. BBQ sauce $1.50
- Combine the smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the seasoning over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker, then pour the BBQ sauce over top making sure the chicken is fully covered.
- Place a lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 2.5 hours or low for 4-5 hours.
- After cooking, use two forks to shred the chicken. If the chicken does not easily pull apart with the forks, let it cook a little longer.
- Serve the pulled BBQ chicken on a bun, on nachos, over a baked potato, on pizza, or with your favorite meal.
How to Make Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken – Step by Step Photos
Combine 2 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle the seasoning mix over both sides of two boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1.3 lbs. total).
Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour one 18oz. bottle of BBQ sauce over the chicken, making sure it’s fully covered.
Place the lid on the slow cooker on cook on high for 2.5 hours or low for 4-5 hours.
Use two forks to shred the chicken. If the chicken doesn’t pull apart easily, you can let it cook a little longer.
Give the chicken a good stir to make sure it’s all well coated in BBQ sauce, then it’s ready to serve!
Now I need a plate full of BBQ Chicken Nachos. 🤤