Do You Need to Disinfect Your Groceries Right Now?

Now more than ever, home is where many of us are seeking refuge and solace in light of the novel coronavirus. This is a tough time, but we’re here for you—whether it’s a new pantry recipe or a useful tip for your kitchen, here are some ideas to make th…

Now more than ever, home is where many of us are seeking refuge and solace in light of the novel coronavirus. This is a tough time, but we’re here for you—whether it’s a new pantry recipe or a useful tip for your kitchen, here are some ideas to make things run a little more smoothly for you and your loved ones.

The slight silver lining of quarantine is the additional time we have now to spend with our families, sort things (i.e. cabinets) out, and attempt new cooking projects. But, with home cooking comes grocery shopping, which, amid coronavirus, is not absent of food safety-related concerns and questions.

Read More >>

10 Ideas to Ease the Mind—& Help You Relax

Now more than ever, home is where many of us are seeking refuge and solace in light of the novel coronavirus. This is a tough time, but we’re here for you—whether it’s a new pantry recipe or a useful tip for your kitchen, here are some ideas to make th…

Now more than ever, home is where many of us are seeking refuge and solace in light of the novel coronavirus. This is a tough time, but we’re here for you—whether it’s a new pantry recipe or a useful tip for your kitchen, here are some ideas to make things run a little more smoothly for you and your loved ones.

Last night I finally had the breakdown that’s been bubbling up inside of me for days. It was Day Ten of our social isolation period; I hadn’t been physically outside my apartment door in maybe five days, and my boyfriend and I had been working from home together for over a week—tensions were high.

Read More >>

How to Make Our Most Popular Recipes With Whatever’s on Hand

Now more than ever, home is where many of us are seeking refuge and solace in light of the novel coronavirus. This is a tough time, but we’re here for you—whether it’s a new pantry recipe or a useful tip for your kitchen, here are some ideas to make th…

Now more than ever, home is where many of us are seeking refuge and solace in light of the novel coronavirus. This is a tough time, but we’re here for you—whether it’s a new pantry recipe or a useful tip for your kitchen, here are some ideas to make things run a little more smoothly for you and your loved ones.

These days, there are few recipes whose ingredient lists I have entirely in stock. But that hasn’t stopped me from cooking and baking. The truth is: Just about any recipe can withstand a substitution or three—even our most popular ones from the last decade. Will an adaptation turn out exactly like the original? Nope. Will you feel a small (but mighty!) sense of accomplishment for making it work? You bet. Below, we’ll cover smart swaps for each recipe, so you can off-road your dinner—or midnight snack—without ever leaving your kitchen.

Read More >>

11 Slow-Cooker Soup Recipes to Comfort, Nourish & Delight

Welcome to Set It & Forget It, a series about all the ways we rely on our Crock-Pots, Instant Pots, and stovetops for a healthy dose of comfort cooking.

Deeply in need of a warm, comforting meal after a long day of work? Under the weather and se…

Welcome to Set It & Forget It, a series about all the ways we rely on our Crock-Pots, Instant Pots, and stovetops for a healthy dose of comfort cooking.

Deeply in need of a warm, comforting meal after a long day of work? Under the weather and seeking something spicy to clear out your sinuses? On the hunt for an easy dinner with a minimal ingredient list that tastes like you put in hours of work? These 11 slow-cooker soups check all those boxes—and then some.

Read More >>

The 20 Beloved Indie Grocers We’re Browsing Online

I was manning the Hotline early last week, when Hallie from D.C. wrote in: “What independent online grocers (not Whole Foods, Stop & Shop) can I buy from during the quarantine?” Pfft, easy, I thought.

Read More >>

A Quick & Clean Guide to Washing Your Clothes by Hand

Now more than ever, home is where many of us are seeking refuge and solace in light of the novel coronavirus. This is a tough time, but we’re here for you—whether it’s a new pantry recipe or a useful tip for your kitchen, here are some ideas to make th…

Now more than ever, home is where many of us are seeking refuge and solace in light of the novel coronavirus. This is a tough time, but we’re here for you—whether it’s a new pantry recipe or a useful tip for your kitchen, here are some ideas to make things run a little more smoothly for you and your loved ones.

I live in New York City, where having a washing machine in your apartment building outweighs many other standard living space must-haves. Windows? Who needs ‘em? Heat? I’ll get an electric blanket. And apartments with laundry in-unit? They’re myths. If you tell me you have a washing machine, I simply won’t believe you.

Read More >>

Get Ready to Meet Home52

Hi Food52ers,

We wanted to take a moment to let you know about something new on the horizon. On April 3rd, the section known as “Living” in our site navigation will be renamed “Home52.” Read More >>

Hi Food52ers,

We wanted to take a moment to let you know about something new on the horizon. On April 3rd, the section known as “Living” in our site navigation will be renamed “Home52.”

Read More >>

How to Help Your Favorite Cookbook Authors (& Bookstores!) Right Now

Coverage of spring cooking usually looks pretty different than it does this year: At a time when food media should be beginning to sing songs of radishes, peas, asparagus, and ramps, the focus this year is mostly on storage produce, pantry staples, and all-consuming kitchen projects. Coverage of spring cookbooks looks pretty different, too—but that doesn’t mean the books have stopped!

Read More >>

How to Buy Wine in the Coronavirus Era

Keeping wine and spirits stores open during a public health crisis might seem like a punchline, but so far they have been deemed “essential.” People are stocking up to hunker down; they’re also turning to wine for its normalcy.

To share a glass is a m…

Keeping wine and spirits stores open during a public health crisis might seem like a punchline, but so far they have been deemed “essential.” People are stocking up to hunker down; they’re also turning to wine for its normalcy.

To share a glass is a most human endeavor, even when we’re sharing remotely. There’s some evidence, too, that people are buying more varied and adventurous bottles right now, perhaps learning more about wine—like baking bread, reading Tolstoy, and finally decluttering the home, things we’d always intended to do if we had more time.

Read More >>

3 Ways to Support the Hospitality Industry—From Your Phone

I’m an engineer by day, curious cook and blogger by night. I started my culinary journey over a decade ago by asking chefs on Twitter how to make something they posted, and was surprised to actually receive answers. There was one specific event when I knew that anything was possible using social media: Chef Jose Andres not only saw my tweet, but invited me to chat through my questions in person.

Read More >>