Introducing my long time love: pumpkin gooey bars!
Okay guys. I know I’ve told you about the pumpkin dream cake and how fantastic it is, but I’m coming in hot with ANOTHER pumpkin dessert this year that you are going to love. Seriously, everyone will freak.
These bars are a staple in my kitchen and once you make them, everyone asks for the recipe. They are DELISH.
I’m getting ridiculously excited that Thanksgiving is so close. It might just be my favorite day of the entire year. I ordered my turkeys, my lists are made and I’ll be sharing everything with you in just a few days.
Let’s hope this year I don’t dump 10 gallons of turkey brine on my kitchen floor, you know?
While I’m busy debating if I can wear a jewel-studded headband that may make me look like I’m 11 years old as well as contemplating what sort of centerpiece to put in the table that people will actually appreciate, I figured it was high time you know about these bars. Because I love them.
They are… THEEEEE bars.
Here’s the deal.
This was the dessert of the year for us last year. I made these bars just about a billion times – they were a HUGE hit! If you follow me on instagram, you probably know this. I made them and served them on Thanksgiving – the chocolate pumpkin combo hits the spot. Then I made them for my cookie boxes and cut them into tiny squares. I made them on Christmas Eve for our huge cookie tray.
Basically, they were the only dessert I made for the last two months of 2018. You will want them.
They sort of remind me of seven layer bars, but they are better than that. They have a graham cracker-ish crust. The gooey pumpkin center is reminiscent of cheesecake. But it’s gooeier and softer and it’s not overly spiced, which you know I love.
On top of that, flaked coconut and chocolate chips, which toast and melt in the oven respectively, creating one of the best flavor combinations known to man. Yes yes yes.
These are just to die for. Give them a test run this weekend!
Pumpkin Gooey Bars
Pumpkin Gooey Bars
Pumpkin gooey bars are a decadent chocolate, coconut and pumpkin dessert! Crunchy graham crust, gooey pumpkin center and a crisp topping. Yum!
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, (melted)
- 1 8-ounce block cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup pumpkin butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened, flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the graham crumbs and butter until the mixture is moistened. Press the grahams into the bottom of the baking dish to create a crust.
- Place the cream cheese in the bowl of your electric mixer. Beat until creamy, then beat in the pumpkin butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Beat on medium speed until creamy and combined and no lumps remain. Pour the mixture on top of the graham crust.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the dish and sprinkle the coconut on top. Bake for another 20 to 30 minutes, until the coconut is golden and the center of the bars is barely jiggly (it still might jiggle the tiniest big but most of it should be firm!).
- Let cool completely. I love to make these the day ahead of time, store them in the fridge and then slice. I also like to keep them stored in the fridge, but they are fine to sit out on a dessert plate!
slightly adapted from williams sonoma
Nothing makes me happier.