This is a scrumptious, simple beef stew recipe that’s perfect for warming your after a long winter day.
My favorite cut of beef is perfect for this roast. This is boneless beef shank, which takes a long time to stew, but the resulting roast is perfect. The shank is one of the meatiest and most collagen-rich parts of the animal.
These chunks are great for goulash, thick winter soups, and stew. They are rich in connective tissue that breaks down into a silky texture when cooked slowly, making a wonderful gravy. The meat is tender and flavorful.
What to serve with the beef stew? Mashed potatoes, pasta with olive oil or butter (sprinkle with cheese if you like), and rice. I love eating it with pickles.
How to thicken beef stew? You can flour the meat before frying. Or when the stew is ready, fry a 1 tbsp of flour in 1 tbsp of butter, pour in half a cup of cold water and stir to avoid lumps. Pour the mixture into the stew. Cook 5 min. But boneless beef shank and vegetables makes a rich gravy.
|PREP TIME||COOK TIME||MAKES|
|15 minutes||120 minutes||5-6 servings|
INGREDIENTS (serves 5-6)
- 2.2 lbs (1 kg) beef shank (boneless)
- 2 stalks leek
- 3 carrots
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 big tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 glass (150 ml) dry red wine
- 2 tsp paprika
- ⅓ ground allspice
- 1 tso ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ -1 tsp chili pepper flakes
- ⅓ tsp grated nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 thyme sprigs
- 4-5 tbsp oil for frying
You can find the video recipe of Beef stew in my Instagram. Let’s be friends!
- Cut the meat into small pieces. Pour the frying oil into a heavy-bottomed pot or deep frying pan. Put the meat.
- Add all the spices except herbs (coriander, ground black pepper, allspice, ground pepper, paprika, grated nutmeg, and chili) to the meat and fry everything together.
- Cut the leek lengthwise and chop coarsely. Cut the carrots into thick slices or circles. Coarsely chop the celery and add it, along with the carrots, leek, and finely chopped garlic, to the meat.
- Continue frying, then pour in the wine, add the diced tomatoes, thyme, and bay leaves.
- Simmer over a very low heat until the meat is tender (this will take about 2 hours).
If, despite the warnings, you were not cooking on a very low heat and you did not get enough gravy, add just a little water.
- Salt and add sprigs of parsley 10 minutes before readiness. Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta.
UKRAINIAN HOME COOKING
Favorite recipes with love
The book is available on Amazon in different countries.
50% of each sale will be donated to Charity to help the children and people of Ukraine.