If you need another excuse to cook dinner on the patio and work in a little more grilled summer fruit into your diet, you’ve come to the right place.
I am the enabler’s enabler.
One of my very favorite things right now are grilled peaches, plums, and apricots. They work perfectly with a scoop of ice cream on top and work just as beautifully in savory dishes.
Another current favorite thing is stuffing my face while standing in my PJs at the fig tree in the backyard… but that’s a confession for another day.
Chicken thighs and ripe apricots (or white peaches – those turned out amazing!) are threaded onto skewers and grilled to smokey perfection before being glazed with an herbed honey glaze. The glaze gets the tiniest of kicks from the red pepper. It’s not spicy but without the red pepper, I thought the glaze fell a little flat the first time we made it.
Happy summer grillin’!
Honey & Thyme-Glazed Chicken and Apricot Skewers
Chicken and apricot skewers grilled with a sweet and spicy honey-thyme glaze.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp chopped thyme leaves
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp water
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 4 apricots, halved or quartered (depending on size) and pitted
- 8 long skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes if wooden
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Mix the honey, thyme, red pepper flakes, a pinch of salt and black pepper with 1 Tbsp water in a small bowl.
- Microwave for 15 seconds, stir, and microwave for another 15 seconds. Set the honey aside to steep.
- Lightly spray or brush skewers with oil.
- Divide the chicken strips and apricot halves or quarters equally between the skewers.
- Lightly spray or brush with oil and place on the grill.
- Cook ~4 minutes per side, turning once.
- Baste with honey mixture and cook another 1-2 minutes per side, coating with more honey when turning.
- Serve drizzled with leftover honey mixture.
Yields: 4 servings
Estimated time: 30 minutes