If you’re looking for ways to use your summer zucchini, don’t pass up this irresistible zucchini slice. This classic Australian dish is similar to a crustless quiche but with a more dense texture. It’s healthy and perfect for meal prep if you’ve got a busy week ahead. Serve this slice hot or cold for a savory breakfast on-the-go, or a light lunch or dinner.
What is Zucchini Slice?
Zucchini Slice is a popular Australian dish similar to a crustless quiche but with a more dense texture. It’s universally loved in Australia because it’s very easy to prepare, budget-friendly, and can be enjoyed hot or cold for any meal of the day. You’ll commonly find it in lunchboxes, at kid’s birthday parties, and potlucks.
Tips for Making Zucchini Slice
Don’t skip draining the moisture from the zucchini, or you’ll end up with a soggy slice! Grate the zucchini and either pop it into a colander or a clean kitchen towel to wring out. It’s common in Australia to make zucchini slice without sauteing the bacon and onion first. However, I highly recommend not skipping this step
Zucchini Slice Variations
Tweak Zucchini Slice with what you have on hand. You can leave out the bacon for a vegetarian version, or you can use ham instead of bacon (no need to sauté first). You can throw in a few veggies too! Corn or finely chopped red bell pepper would be perfect in this slice. You could also add in a blend of cheese instead of just cheddar. Feta or parmesan would be a delicious addition.
What to Serve with Zucchini Slice
Zucchini Slice is perfect for any meal (or snack) of the day. It can be served either hot or cold and is great for on the go. It’s not uncommon to eat a piece or two on its own or to serve it with a side salad for a light lunch or dinner. It’s also a favorite at potlucks and parties.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Zucchini Slice is great for meal prep! Store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Eat this slice cold or reheated in the microwave.
- 1 Tbsp butter $0.11
- 2 strips bacon $0.52
- 1 yellow onion $0.37
- 5 large eggs $0.98
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese $1.25
- 1 cup self-rising flour* $0.14
- 1/4 cup olive oil $0.64
- 3/4 lb. zucchini (2 cups shredded) $1.27
- 1 pinch salt and pepper $0.03
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a large rectangular baking dish (11×7-inch) with parchment paper. Finely dice the onion and finely chop the bacon.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and onion and cook, stirring regularly, until the onion softens and the bacon is golden. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Grate zucchini into a colander and sprinkle a little salt on top. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the bacon, onion, eggs, cheese, flour, and oil. Stir well to combine.
- Using your hands, squeeze excess moisture out of the zucchini into the sink, then place into the mixing bowl and stir to combine—season with a little salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until cooked through and firm to touch. Allow to cool, then cut into squares to serve.
How to Make Zucchini Slice – Step by Step Photos
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 11×7-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
Finely dice one yellow onion and finely chop about two strips of bacon. Add 1 Tbsp butter to a frying pan and heat over medium. Add the onion and bacon and sauté until the onion is soft and the bacon is golden. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Grate about 3/4 lb. of zucchini into a colander and sprinkle a little salt on top. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl add the bacon and onion, along with 2 large eggs, 1 cup shredded cheese, 1 cup self-rising flour, and 1/4 cup olive oil. Stir well to combine.
Using your hands, squeeze excess moisture out of the zucchini into the sink, then place into the mixing bowl and stir to combine. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Pour mixture into prepared tray.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, until cooked through and firm to the touch. Allow to cool, then cut into squares to serve.