This cauliflower parmesan is the perfect cheesy treat.
Why yes, I’ll call anything with a cheese a treat. Cheese is my treat of choice. Always!
To say I love this meal (side? snack?) would be an understatement. It is so darn good.
See, Eddie LOVES chicken parmesan. I make it for him every few weeks (sometimes in meatball form!). And I’m not sure when the idea of cauliflower covered in sauce and cheese became more appealing to me than chicken covered in sauce and cheese, but it did. There I said it!
It’s true. This is more desirable to me than crispy chicken, which is just crazy! I never thought the day would come.
Now I don’t exactly consider this a meal alone, though it could be one – maybe with a side of pasta or vegetables or beans or something? Something with a little more substance.
OR you could make this as a side dish. Or heck, a nice little lunch with a greens salad. Sounds perfect with a glass of chilled pinot grigio!
Okay so the cauliflower parm!
It’s no secret that roasted cauliflower is one of the first vegetables I really got into. I’ve said for years that when it’s roasted, it almost takes on a popcorn-like flavor. It’s kind of nutty, if you will. In a really good way.
I still can’t bear to call cauliflower steaks. But I mean, these do look steak-like, if I do say so myself! The key is to slice the head of cauliflower into thick pieces so it can hold a ton of sauce and cheese.
Since we cut the slices thick, I like to roast them first. This allows them to get a little browned and charred, maybe with a few crispy edges.
Then we go back in and top with marinara. Then top with fresh mozzarella!
Roast a bit more until that cheese is golden and bubbly. It’s a dream! Top with the garlic butter breadcrumbs for a little texture. And fresh basil too.
This is definitely a knife and fork kind of dish. The cauliflower will be tender enough to cut with a fork, but it may be a little messy with the sauce. Throw in some garlic bread too?
It’s warm and comforting and totally delish.
I’m all about the easy weeknight comfort meals right now and this hits the spot!
- 1 large head cauliflower, sliced into 1-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, for topping
- fresh basil, for topping
garlic butter breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/3 cup seasoned panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Slice the cauliflower from the top down, into 1-inch thick slices. Place the cauliflower on a baking sheet. Drizzle or brush with the olive oil so it covers the slices. Sprinkle with the italian seasoning and a pinch of salt and pepper all over. Roast the cauliflower for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, spoon the marinara over the cauliflower. Place a slice of the fresh mozzarella on top. Bake for 15 more minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Remove the cauliflower and top with the breadcrumbs, fresh basil and a sprinkle of parmesan.
garlic butter breadcrumbs
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in the garlic, cook for a few seconds, then stir in the bread crumbs. Cook, stirring often, for 2 to 3 minutes until golden.
Looks like a nice cheesy pillow