Inside: Learn how to make this delicious Mexican-style Chicken a L’Orange recipe which is great for serving the whole family.
Para Espanol, Haz Click Aqui.
Some of my favorite meals growing up included tasty chicken, cooked with delicious sauces and ingredients to add plenty of flavor . The recipe I am going to share today is one of those, and is the Mexican take on the french dish chicken a l’orange, which is a popular modification to more common version made with duck.
Keep reading to find out how to make this – I promise you will love it!
What is Chicken A L’Orange?
Chicken a l’orange is a variation of the popular duck a l’orange, a French dish that consists of perfectly cooked duck in an aromatic orange sauce. The main difference between the two dishes is the protein that you use. In this recipe, you will use chicken drumsticks or chicken thighs, depending on your tastes. You can also use chicken breasts, but I personally prefer thighs or drumsticks.
This shouldn’t be confused with chinese orange chicken like what you find at panda express (although that is delicious too, and I have a copycat recipe here). The recipes are quite different in how they are prepared and the flavors.
Of course, I always like to add some Mexican flavor to my recipes when possible. For this recipe, I add hot peppers, usually jalapenos, which give it some added spice.
This is a delicous main course that can be served with white rice, or a variety of other side dishes.
How do you make Mexican style chicken a l’orange?
You do not have to be an expert in the art of French cooking to make this recipe. It does take a little bit of preparation, but overall this is a pretty easy dinner to make any day of the week or for special occasions.
You will start pan frying the chicken pieces in a large skillet until they have crispy skin and are cooked through. After that is done you will begin adding the other ingredients a little bit at a time to make the slightly sweet orange sauce. Some of those ingredients include orange juice, onions, garlic, corn starch (if you want it a bit thicker), chicken stock, and fresh herbs.
You will then cook everything together until it is ready to serve. I have made this several times for my family, and everyone agrees it is one of the best chicken recipes they have tried.
Next time you are looking for a tasty chicken dish, you should try this recipe. It is a great weeknight meal and the cooking time is not long at all. Let me know in the comments below how it turned out for you and if you have any questions.
Check out these other recipes.
- Delicious Mexican Style Smoked Whole Chicken Recipe
- How To Make The Best, Foolproof Smoked Chicken Wings
- Mexican Style Chipotle Pork Chops
- Delicious Mexican Style Garlic Shrimp Recipe (Camarones al Mojo de Ajo)
- How To Make Homemade Chicken Tikka Masala
Mexican Style Chicken a L'Orange
- 6 Chicken Thighs or Drumsticks
- 2 Onions sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 3 Roma Tomatoes diced
- 2 Jalapenos diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgen olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp salt more to taste
- 1 tsp pepper more to taste
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and let rest, covered in a refrigerator for 30 minutes
- Heat the oil and pan fry the chicken until it is cooked through, set aside
- In the same pan, sautee the onions and garlic until the onion is transparent
- Add the tomatoes and jalapenos and continue cooking for 5 minutes
- Add the previously cooked chicken, followed by the chicken stock, orange juice, bay leaves, vinegar, oregano, and bring to a boil. Add salt to taste and remove from heat
- For a thicker broth, add the corn starch, dissolved in water, to the pan.