These smoky shiitake mushroom quesadillas are the easiest meal you can make tonight!
Seriously, it doesn’t get much easier than this. Obviously you know that, given that you can see a photo of a quesadilla. But what you may not know if how good these taste!
These quesadillas are super hearty (thanks, shiitakes!), cheesy, crunchy on the outsides and melty on the insides. Serve with all the dips and toppings you want to make them fancy and you’re good.
My local grocery store carries these wonderful thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms (it’s just the store’s brand) and to say I’m obsessed would be an understatement. They are FANTASTIC. I discovered them in early 2020 and buy them every single week.
The shiitakes are sliced so thin that they really get nice and crisp in a skillet – or even the oven. Or! Even on the grill – because I use these in my grilled vegetable orzo all the time.
The shiitakes have become the staple to most of my meatless meals throughout the week. They cook up so quickly and nicely and our whole family (even the kids!) love them. You can mimic them by simply slicing a shiitake mushroom cap into thin slices and boom, there you go. I love their flavor.
The avocado cream is what really makes these. I’ve used this recipe for YEARS and it never fails to amaze me just how good it makes things taste. It’s like an avocado sour cream and just takes it over the top.
Of course, I also do some shredded lettuce, pickled onions (fave for life!) and a sprinkle of cotija cheese.
To take these quesadillas over the top, which is saying a lot because, um… hello – they are QUESADILLAS. Aka, the easiest meal ever known to man. Aka, the meal I survived on in high school when I’d get home and have as a snack (in the microwave, of course).
But yes, to take them over the top, I cook the shiitakes in a skillet with a touch of liquid smoke until they are crisp. This adds so much ridiculous, wonderful flavor that I can hardly stand it. It’s seriously one of my favorite things to make!
When it comes to making the quesadillas, I don’t think it’s a secret that these crispy sheet pan quesadillas are my fave. They are SO great to make for a family, because you can make multiples at once. Also great if you want some quesadilla leftovers.
If you prefer making them on the stovetop, or just not in the oven, I use this electric griddle all the time. We use it for breakfast things like pancakes and eggs a lot, but it’s always what I use for quesadillas too if we’re not doing the oven-crisp version. Works like a charm and I can do two or three at once!
And now… dinner is served.
Smoky Shiitake Mushroom Quesadillas
Smoky Shiitake Quesadillas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or butter, plus more for toasting the quesadillas
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 to 3 shakes of liquid smoke
- kosher salt and pepper
- 4 flour tortillas
- 6 ounces sharp or smoked cheddar, freshly grated
- pickled onions, for topping
- cotija cheese, for topping
- shredded lettuce, for serving
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add in the mushrooms and garlic and stir. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms brown, about 5 to 6 minutes. Shake in the liquid smoke and toss. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and turn off the heat.
- To make the quesadillas, place a sprinkling of cheese on a tortilla, then the mushrooms on a tortilla with another sprinkling of cheese. Top with another tortilla! You can use my oven-baked method above, or add another drop of butter or olive oil to a skillet and cook the quesadilla on both sides until golden and crispy.
- Slice and serve immediately with the avocado cream, pickled onions, cotija cheese and shredded lettuce.
- Add ingredients to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth and creamy.
Crispy, crunchy, creamy! The best bite.