These meatballs in vodka sauce are outstanding. Tender, juicy meatballs cooked in vodka sauce and served on toasted sourdough that is spread with ricotta cheese. Dreamy! Cozy and comforting and delicious.
My favorite classic December meal for 2021 is here!
If you’re looking for a meal that tastes AMAZING, well… I’ve got you.
Saucy meatballs, cheesy toast, fresh herbs, breadcrumbs. This is where it’s at.
Oh my gosh, so remember when I made those pesto meatball melts in the summer?! We really LOVED those. They were such a different and fun way to enjoy pesto. And meatballs! And toast, of course.
So after I made meatballs in vodka sauce, I wanted to find the best way to serve them. They are almost a little too rich for pasta if that makes sense. At least all the time – just little too heavy. And while I have a lovely meatball salad (yes, it’s a thing) in The Pretty Dish, I knew that a salad wasn’t the route I wanted to go.
Enter little ricotta toasts! These are SO fun to eat, share, serve and enjoy. They are delish.
I always love sharing a meal like this around the holiday season. Things like my bacon meatballs with bucatini and cheesy bucatini pie. Even though I grew up with zero italian roots and never really experienced GOOD italian food until much later, I always love a hearty comforting meal with red sauce in December.
And one of the reason’s I love the meatballs so much is because they are versatile. Yes, of course you can have them with pasta even though I said no above. You can make sandwiches, throw them on salads, serve them on pizza – the possibilities are endless. And also delicious.
So while the meatballs are the star of the show, the toasted sourdough and ricotta comes into play too. Let’s get to it.
Because there are sooo many reasons that these are incredible.
- First, the meatballs. For the meatballs, I use my classic recipe but make fresh breadcrumbs and also add chopped sun dried tomatoes. It just adds something EXTRA. They are tender and juicy and just absolutely perfect. You can use beef or pork or even ground turkey.
- The sauce! I love using my vodka sauce for just about anything – like pizza or chicken parmesan. This vodka sauce comes together so easily. And quickly too. It makes just about anything taste fabulous. It’s creamy and rich and silky and decadent.
- Sourdough toast, of course. What else needs to be said about this other than it’s perfect?
- Creamy ricotta cheese. You can use it straight from the tub, whip it or even make your own. There is no right or wrong here.
- I like to top everything with some fresh herbs like basil and parsley along with toasty breadcrumbs. You can use plain breadcrumbs or throw them in a skillet with some butter until golden.
The combination is so cozy and comforting. I love how satisfying the dish is. It’s a delicious lunch or even dinner – amazing when paired with a salad. It’s also a great app and yes, something you can throw together for guests on bite-sized pieces of toast!
Never not craving this. (more…)