This sun dried tomato gnocchi is the ultimate comfort food.
I am a huuuuuge fan of gnocchi. I loathed all pasta when I was a kid (weird, I know, right?) but my mom had pasta night every Thursday. Gnocchi was the only pasta I enjoyed so it was a frequent dish!
It’s just so fluffy and cloud-like with the perfect bite. I can never get enough.
One of our favorite local restaurants has an incredible gnocchi dish (it’s served in a freaking bread bowl! omg!) that is absolutely wonderful. It’s not really described as a tomato cream sauce, but it definitely has a creamier consistency than regular marinara.
This dish reminds me of that so much and it’s exactly what I was going for!
In the early weeks of this pregnancy, we got their take-out a few times and the gnocchi was all I wanted in life. It is just incredible.
I made this baked gnocchi as a nod to that (so we could have it at home!) before the holidays and just didn’t get a chance to share it with you.
It’s definitely an indulgent dish. It’s like a sunday dinner dish that you served with a big salad and maybe some sourdough. And it’s rich and indulgent but the gnocchi is also pillowy and light, so it makes for the best combination.
I personally love to make a big house salad with it. Crisp and refreshing pairs well with hot and saucy pasta. Plus bread for dipping!
When it comes to the sun dried tomato sauce, it could not be easier! I use a jar of sun dried tomatoes and add some garlic. A little stock, some cream, some herbs and of course parmesan. It bakes and gets all bubbly and the cheese on top gets perfectly melty too.
This can be a main dish if you serve it with said salad, or it could be a side dish depending on what else is being served. It is a great dish to bring to a party or family gathering (once we can do that again!) if it accompanies other dishes too. Everyone loves it!
A big sprinkle of parmesan, some crushed red pepper flakes… this is incredible.
Sun Dried Tomato Gnocchi
Saucy Sun Dried Tomato Gnocchi
- 1 (7 oz) jar sun dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 2 lbs gnocchi, cooked according to package directions (this is usually 2 packages)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable, or chicken! stock
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ⅔ cup heavy cream or half and half
- ½ cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced or torn into pieces
- fresh basil, for garnish
- crushed red pepper flakes, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the sun dried tomatoes on a paper towel and press out some of the oil to remove it. This is important or your sauce will be oily! Really press the oil out. Dice the tomatoes.
- Cook the gnocchi according to the package directions. This should only take about 3 to 5 minutes!
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-low heat. Add the sun dried tomatoes and the garlic with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until they soften.
- Place the stock in a shaker cup or bottle. Add the flour and shake the mixture for 30 seconds to create a slurry. Pour the mixture into the tomatoes in the pan while stirring constantly. Stir for a few minutes as the mixture warms up (it may thicken a bit).
- Stir in the cream and the parmesan until combined. Add in the gnocchi and stir to combine. Top with the torn mozzarella. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbly and melty.
- Top with fresh basil, extra parmesan and red pepper flakes.
Want to nap on one of those pasta pillows!