Rice is one of our favorite budget-friendly side dishes, so when we saw the recipe for Arroz Verde in Karla Salinari’s new book, Abuela’s Plant-Based Kitchen: Vegan Cuisine Inspired by Latin & Caribbean Family Recipes, we knew we had to give it a try! This simple Arroz Verde (Green Rice) recipe is bright, full of earthy flavor, and the perfect way to use up any herbs or leafy greens in your fridge! So if you’re looking for a new tasty way to enjoy this weeknight staple side dish, then definitely give this green rice recipe a try!
What is Arroz Verde?
Arroz Verde is a popular Mexican and Latin American green rice dish that’s known for its vibrant green color and herby flavors. It’s often made by cooking rice in a blended herb and leafy greens puree until it’s fluffy and infused with lots of earthy flavor.
INGREDIENTS FOR ARROZ VERDE
This green rice recipe includes lots of vegetables and packs a ton of flavor! Here’s what you need to make this simple rice dish:
- Basmati Rice – Basmati rice, which is fragrant and fluffy, is the base for this recipe. We used jasmine rice, which is also fragrant because that is what we had on hand, but feel free to use any long-grain white rice that fits your budget.
- Green Leafy Vegetables – Lots of earthy green leafy vegetables and herbs are used in this arroz verde recipe including Swiss chard, spinach, parsley, and cilantro. It makes the rice bright and super flavorful! If you can’t find Swiss chard, simply substitute it with more spinach.
- Olive oil and Garlic – Both of these are added with the leafy vegetables to create a green powerhouse blended mixture. The pureed mixture is then sautéed to release some of its fragrance before being cooked with the rice.
- Green Peas and Scallions – Cooked green peas and sliced scallions give the dish more color, texture, and flavor, making this an anything-but-boring side dish.
What to serve with Arroz Verde?
Arroz Verde would pair nicely with Easy Cilantro Lime Chicken, Garlic Butter Baked Cod, Pan Seared Chicken Breasts, or even with a side of Seasoned Black Beans! Other Mexican-inspired dishes like Cheese Enchiladas or Black Bean and Avocado Enchiladas would also go great with this rice dish!
Arroz Verde (Green Rice)
- 1 cup Swiss chard, stems removed* $1.50
- 1 cup fresh spinach $0.28
- 1 cup parsley $0.39
- 1/2 cup cilantro $0.29
- 1/2 cup olive oil $1.28
- 3 cloves garlic $0.24
- 2 cups long grain white rice, washed & rinsed $0.84
- 2 cups boiling water $0
- Salt to taste $0.01
- 1/2 cup cooked green peas $0.31
- 1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced $0.35
- Add the Swiss chard, spinach, parsley, cilantro, olive oil, and roughly chopped garlic to a food processor. Process on high until mixture reaches a paste-like consistency.
- Place a medium size pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, transfer the green vegetable mixture to the pot and sauté until fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pot and mix to combine coating the rice with the green mixture.
- Add boiling water and salt to taste to the pot and let the mixture come to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover with a tight lid. Cook for 20 min or until the rice is tender.
- Once done remove the pot from the heat and using a fork fluff the rice. Add the cooked green peas and scallions and combine. Serve and enjoy!
See how we calculate recipe costs here.
How to Make Arroz Verde – Step by Step Photos
Add 1 cup of chopped Swiss chard, 1 cup fresh spinach, 1 cup parsley, 1/2 cup cilantro, 1/2 cup olive oil, and 3 garlic cloves (roughly chopped) to a food processor.
Process on high until mixture reaches a paste-like consistency.
Place a medium size pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, transfer the green vegetable mixture to the pot and sauté until fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
Add 2 cups long-grain white rice (washed & rinsed) to the pot and mix to combine, coating the rice with the green mixture.
Add 2 cups of boiling water and salt to taste to the pot, then let the mixture come to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover with a tight lid. Cook for 20 min or until the rice is tender.
Once done remove the pot from the heat and using a fork fluff the rice. Add 1/2 cup cooked green peas and 1/4 cup sliced scallions and combine.
Serve and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro if desired. Simple and delicious! Enjoy!