How often do you buy ice cream from the store? It’s no wonder that there are so many people trying to make their own. The quality of those found at your favorite carton shop just can’t compare with what homemade offers, especially when it comes down to taste and the rich creamy texture this recipe provides! With only five ingredients in total – including white chocolate rum raisin swirled together into delicious gelato style bliss-it’ll be hard not to find something everyone loves about these gelatos.
How to choose the best ingredients for White Chocolate Rum Raisin Ice Cream
Yolks: the yolk of the eggs is very important that they are fresh. You can do a very simple test and put your eggs in the water. If the eggs sink to the bottom, they are very fresh and suitable for ice cream. If the eggs slightly hover above the bottom and are already half fresh, I recommend using them for baking, and if the egg rises quite high above the bottom, the egg is not suitable for consumption and should be chewed. When we buy eggs, we seem to have an expiration date, but we should remember that sometimes other buyers transfer from one container to another. It’s worth checking out.
White chocolate: white chocolate chooses the cheapest chocolate for ice cream bud you still like such eggs because its taste will emphasize the taste of ice cream. I do not recommend baking chocolates because they taste worse. Baking chocolates are suitable for cakes, but I recommend ordinary chocolates for creams and ice cream.
Whipping cream: whipping cream, add the freshest you can get. When you open it, and the cream is thick, I do not recommend it because it may already have a different taste, and the flavor in the ice cream is given by cream and white chocolate.
Milk: milk can be any you use. This amount will not make the ice cream any less creamy. This tone is given by chocolate and emphasized by cream. Milk is there so that the ice cream is not too heavy and too fatty.
Dark rum: the dark rum should be what you have at the moment. You can also add white rum, but the white rum has no aroma that is characteristic of rum.
Raisins: you can use raisins whatever you have at home. But, it is for you that this ice cream is to taste.
Tips and tricks
- You can soak the raisins in rum for a few days, then they acquire a special aroma. However, remember to keep them in a closed container.
- If you don’t have rum, you can replace it with vodka and rum flavor for baking.
White Chocolate Rum Raisin Ice Cream
- 3 yolks
- 300 gr white chocolate
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 150 gr milk
- 100 ml dark rum
- 50 gr raisins
- Soak the raisins in rum overnight. There should be enough rum to cover the whole raisins. It came out to me about 100ml, but it also depends on the bowl size where you soak the raisins.
- After the night, when the raisins are filled with rum, we start making ice cream.
- Soak the chocolate in a water bath.
- Beat yolks to a fluffy mass until it becomes a few tones lighter.
- Then add the milk and cream and whip. We heat everything up to 85 degrees C/ 185 degrees F. If we do not have a thermometer, the mass should be a moment before boiling but not boil. We stir the yolks all the time so that the yolks do not cook for the very days and the milk with cream does not burn.
- We put this mass into an ice cream maker. Then, we add the raisins practically with the entire content only when the mass is thick because the rum should completely absorb the raisins.
- If you are making ice cream in a freezer, cool the mass well in cold water before putting it into the freezer, and then put the ice cream in a plastic container in the freezer for 1.5 hours. After each such period, remove the ice cream and stir it, and add the raisins for the first time.
- The ice cream should be ready in about 4.5 hours. It depends on the ice machine we have and what temperature the freezer is set to.Bon Appetit!