OUR BEST GRILL RECIPESOur All time Favorite Grill Recipes Carne asada – This carne asada recipe packs a ton of flavor and is so delicious. Serve over greens, make tacos, or a Carne Asada Torta, or even a burrito. So many options. Serve with some …
MANGO SALSAWhen the weather starts to warm up I only have cravings for all things bright and fresh. Our Mango Salsa fits right into that category and it only takes 10 minutes to throw together and uses only 6 simple ingredients. I literally eat this sa…
This epic BBQ tofu recipe is fast, easy and full of savory sweet flavor! A great way to make anyone…
This epic BBQ tofu recipe is fast, easy and full of savory sweet flavor! A great way to make anyone into a tofu fan.
Here’s a must-make recipe for tofu fans: and eaters on the fence, too. Try this irresistible BBQ Tofu recipe! Each bite has just the right chewy texture, bathed in a silky, sweet, savory sauce. You’ll want to keep eating it for days. This plate disappeared very quickly at our house! This recipe is easy to put together and a great starter recipe for people who are wary of the stuff. In fact, it might turn them into unabashed fans,
How to make BBQ tofu: fast & easy
One huge advantage to this recipe: you can use the tofu out of the package, no pressing required! Many tofu recipes call for pressing the water out of the tofu for 30 minutes prior to making the recipe. But if you’re like us, you don’t have an extra 30 minutes to spare. This BBQ tofu recipe uses tofu right out of the package! Here are the basic steps (but for the full recipe, scroll down!):
- Cut the tofu and pat it dry with a towel.
- Pan fry it 5 minutes in a skillet on medium high heat. Flip and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add BBQ sauce, soy sauce and chili sauce and cook another 4 minutes on low heat until the sauce thickens.
That’s it! It’s one of the fastest, easiest ways to make tofu taste irresistibly good.
Use a good BBQ sauce
We used an organic BBQ sauce for this BBQ tofu recipe. Using a quality brand is key, because the flavor of sauces can vary. Look for sauces that are sweetened with sugar or natural ingredients, not high fructose corn syrup. You can also use homemade BBQ sauce, like one of these recipes:
- Homemade BBQ Sauce: the classic!
- Sugar Free BBQ Sauce: sweetened with maple
- Vegan BBQ Sauce: no honey here! 100% vegan ingredients
Is tofu healthy?
Misinformation swirls about tofu and soy products. Is tofu healthy? Here’s what to know about eating tofu and other soy products like tempeh and edamame:
- Tofu in moderation is part of a healthy diet (several times per week). Per to the Harvard School of Nutrition, soy is a nutrient-dense source of protein that can safely be consumed several times a week.
- Tofu is likely to provide health benefits, especially when you eat it as an alternative to red meat and processed meat. For more, go to Straight Talk About Soy and Is Tofu Good for You?
Ways to serve this BBQ tofu recipe
Once you’ve got your BBQ tofu recipe, there are endless ways to serve it! Turn it into a healthy dinner recipe with a few easy sides. Here are a few of the ways we’d pair it with sides to make a meal:
- Serve with rice (try our stovetop rice or Instant Pot rice)
- Add quinoa (try stovetop quinoa or Instant Pot quinoa)
- Pair with green beans, like sauteed green beans or roasted green beans (swap the lemon for rice vinegar and use half the amount)
- Go Southern-style and add coleslaw and cornbread! Try our best coleslaw and vegan cornbread or corn muffins
More great ways to eat tofu
Here at A Couple Cooks, we used to avoid tofu because it felt like it was trying to be meat. But we’ve learned that tofu is so much more than that! It’s a delicious plant-based protein that can be eaten in so many delicious ways. Here are some favorites:
- Try fast and easy Coconut Tofu Curry
- Opt for fusion flavors with Easy Tofu Tacos
- Make weeknight friendly Go-To Tofu Stir Fry
- Try a quick Easy Tofu Scramble any time of the day
This BBQ tofu recipe is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, dairy-free, and gluten-free.Print
This epic BBQ tofu recipe is fast, easy and full of savory sweet flavor! A great way to make anyone into a tofu fan.
- Cut the tofu into large cubes (about 1.5″ x 2″) and pat it dry with a towel.
- Add the oil to a non-stick pan and add the tofu cubes and a few pinches kosher salt. Turn on the heat to medium-high. Cook 5 to 6 minutes until lightly browned on the bottom.
- Briefly remove the pan from the heat to reduce spitting. Flip the tofu with chopsticks (the easiest method!) or tongs. Return the heat to medium-high and cook additional 5 to 6 minutes until browned.
- Meanwhile, stir together the BBQ sauce, soy sauce and chili garlic sauce.
- Briefly remove the pan from the heat again and drizzle with the sauce (watch for spitting). Return to low heat and cook 4 minutes, turning occasionally, until sauce is thickened. Serve immediately.
*Note: You can also use this method with Grilled Tofu: simply substitute BBQ sauce for the sauce in that recipe.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Tofu
Keywords: BBQ Tofu, BBQ Tofu Recipe
FAJITA SEASONINGI love making seasoning blends at home and our Fajita Seasoning is one I find myself grabbing out of the cabinet the most! It’s a very simple and delicious blend of basic spices that most of us already have on hand, the flavors ar…
CHICKEN SATAYChicken Satay is one of my favorite skewered meats to eat! The flavors are outrageously good and pair so well with the creamy and tangy peanut sauce! We use chicken thighs in our recipe to ensure every bite is tender and juicy and chicken …
STICKY HOISIN OVEN BAKED RIBSThese Sticky Hoisin Oven Baked Ribs are an absolute favorite over here! Our recipe produces the most tender, flavorful and easy to make ribs! If you’ve ever been intimidated by cooking ribs at home, baking them in the…
LAMB KABOBSWhen we’re in the mood to grill, on of the first things we think of are Lamb Kabobs! That’s right. We both LOVE the flavor of lamb and grilling up cubes of skewered lamb is our jam. Our recipe for lamb kabobs is so simple, but st…
Grilled Tri Tip SandwichesI had never tried tri tip until I moved to California. I attended college in Santa Barbara and it was such a treat to drive out to Cold Spring Tavern, a restaurant tucked away off the 154 fwy, for their weekend only Grilled Tr…
LOADED BBQ CHICKEN SALADI love a big entree salad and our Loaded BBQ Chicken Salad is a sure favorite! I love that this salad is packed with so many fresh ingredients that come together and always hits the spot. This is probably one of my favorite summ…
These chickpea burgers are a hugely satisfying plant-based dinner! Here they’re painted with BBQ and served topped with vegan bacon and spicy mayo. Eating plant based food doesn’t mean giving up the burger! Veggie burgers can be seriously satisfying, and that doesn’t mean processed meat substitutes. These vegan chickpea burgers full of whole foods can be your new go-to! They’re crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, with a hint of nuance from smoked paprika. Painted them with BBQ sauce and served with shiitake bacon and spicy mayo, they’re pretty darn tasty (if we do say so ourselves). Ready to get cooking? What’s in these chickpea burgers? True story: Alex and I tried a vegan burger from one of those popular plant-based meat companies that’s in the news these days. It tasted good, but we both ended up with a stomach ache afterwards. Something about them did a number on us (maybe because we don’t yet understand the effects of this processed food). So it’s back to homemade veggie burgers over here! Not only are these burgers tasty, they’re filled with healthy whole foods. Here’s what’s in these vegan chickpea burgers (nothing weird, promise!): Mashed chickpeas: you’ll use […]
These chickpea burgers are a hugely satisfying plant-based dinner! Here they’re painted with BBQ and served topped with vegan bacon and spicy mayo.
Eating plant based food doesn’t mean giving up the burger! Veggie burgers can be seriously satisfying, and that doesn’t mean processed meat substitutes. These vegan chickpea burgers full of whole foods can be your new go-to! They’re crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, with a hint of nuance from smoked paprika. Painted them with BBQ sauce and served with shiitake bacon and spicy mayo, they’re pretty darn tasty (if we do say so ourselves). Ready to get cooking?
What’s in these chickpea burgers?
True story: Alex and I tried a vegan burger from one of those popular plant-based meat companies that’s in the news these days. It tasted good, but we both ended up with a stomach ache afterwards. Something about them did a number on us (maybe because we don’t yet understand the effects of this processed food). So it’s back to homemade veggie burgers over here! Not only are these burgers tasty, they’re filled with healthy whole foods.
Here’s what’s in these vegan chickpea burgers (nothing weird, promise!):
- Mashed chickpeas: you’ll use a potato masher or fork to mash them by hand
- Onion, carrot and red onion: grate these down so they integrate well; you can use a hand grater, food processor or high-speed blender
- A little flour: It’s needed to hold these babies together (trust us!). You can use gluten-free flour if you need to, or all-purpose or whole wheat.
- Tahini: this sesame paste holds it all together! (What’s tahini?)
- Cumin and smoked paprika. Big flavor comes from cumin, and a back-end smoky nuance from smoked paprika.
- BBQ sauce, for painting (optional). Use your favorite store-bought version, or our homemade BBQ sauce. (Check the label to find an organic version without high fructose corn syrup.)
They’re pan fried, then baked.
These chickpea burgers are lightly pan-fried to get a crispy crust, then baked to cook them through. Why the two steps? When we tried them baked only, the texture wasn’t quite what we wanted. Pan frying adds a nice crispness to the outside of the burger without it getting too dried out in the oven.
When you make your chickpea burgers, shape them so they’re about 3-inches in diameter and about 3/4-inch thick. This will help them to stay together when pan frying and get an even golden brown. We had a 3-inch round biscuit cutter that we used to shape them this size.
Serve with shiitake bacon for extra wow.
It’s totally optional, but you’ve got some time while the chickpea burgers are on the oven. Why not whip up a unique topping? This shiitake bacon is just that: vegan bacon made out of shiitake mushrooms. It sounds a little odd, but once you taste the salty, smoky flavor, you’ll understand! Since Alex and I first made it as a loaded potato soup topping, I’d been dying to try it on a burger. It’s absolutely worth it! It’s only 5 ingredients, and it’s not hard to do while the burger bake.
Creamy sauce makes chickpea burgers shine! (Or really, any veggie burger.)
These chickpea burgers are made perfect with a creamy sauce. Because veggie burgers don’t have the same natural fat like beef burgers, they can taste dry. You really need to add a creamy sauce to get the right textures on a bun. Here we’ve used Spicy Mayo, which also adds richness making for an overall enhanced experience! Here are a few more creamy sauce toppings you could try:
- Yum Yum Sauce This savory sweet drizzle is incredibly tasty, made with mayo, ketchup and spices. (Yum!)
- Easy Russian Dressing Basically = Big Mac Sauce. This tangy mayo-based sauce is out of this world good.
- Guacamole We love using guac as a creamy, savory sauce to top a vegan burger! (Like in our Grillable Veggie Burger.)
Make ahead and reheating instructions
These vegan chickpea burgers save well, making them great for making ahead! You could meal prep them on a weekend and then refrigerate them for eating throughout the week. Here’s what we’d recommend:
- Store in the refrigerator 3 to 4 days. When you reheat them, place them in a 375 oven and reheat until heated through (about 10 minutes or so).
- Freeze for 1 to 2 months. These burgers freeze well, so pack them in a sealed container and store for a few months. You can also make a double recipe if you know you’d like leftovers and do the freezing option. Let them thaw in the refrigerator and then reheat as per above.
Ways to serve chickpea burgers
You don’t have to serve these burgers with BBQ sauce, of course! There are lots of great topping suggestions: here are a few ways we thought of:
- Mediterranean style. If you eat some dairy, top with Tzatziki, red onion and feta.
- Mexican style. Top with Guacamole and Spicy Chipotle Sauce. Oh and Pickled Jalapenos for more heat.
- Ranch style. Add Pickled Radishes, lettuce, and slather the bun with Healthy Ranch or Vegan Ranch.
This recipe is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, and dairy-free. For gluten-free, use gluten-free flour.Print
These chickpea burgers are a hugely satisfying plant-based dinner! Crispy on the outside, they’re painted with BBQ and topped with vegan bacon and spicy mayo.
For the chickpea burgers*
- 15-ounce can chickpeas (1½ cups cooked)
- 1 large carrot
- ½ red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup all purpose, whole wheat or gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or vegetable oil, for frying
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Use a potato masher or fork to mash them in a bowl until they’re mostly mashed with some chunks. Use a large size grater to grate the onion and carrot, then finely grate the garlic OR place them all in a food processor and process until finely minced. Add them to the bowl with the chickpeas. Stir in the tahini, flour and spices. Mix with a spoon and then your fingers until a sticky dough forms. Form 4 round patties and place them on a cutting board, about 3 inches wide by about 3/4 inch thick (we had a 3-inch circle biscuit cutter, which you could use if you have one).
- In a medium frying pan, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Carefully add the patties to the pan. If you have one, top with a splatter screen. Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown on one side. Flip and fry for another 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown, turning down the heat as necessary.
- Transfer the patties to a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and baked through.
- Remove the patties from the oven and let them cool for at least 15 minutes to firm up. Paint liberally with BBQ sauce. Top with toppings (make sure to have a creamy rich topping like the Spicy Mayo to enhance the flavors and textures. The burgers save well in the refrigerator, so they’re great to make ahead and eat throughout the week. They also freeze well!
If you’d like more servings, double the ingredients and pan fry in batches, then bake 8 burgers on the same tray. The burgers stay well refrigerated or frozen (see Step 6).
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chickpea Burgers, Vegan Burger, Vegan Chickpea Burger, Veggie Burger, Veggie Burger Recipe