These baked quesadillas in oven are easy to make on a sheet pan and have the best crispy exterior! Game changer, right here.
Want to make quesadillas for a crowd, but don’t want to hover over the stove while making them to order? Enter: quesadillas in the oven! This recipe makes the humble solo meal into a delicious dinner, resulting in a big batch all at once on a sheet pan. All the quesadillas are done at the same time, and they come out with a beautifully crispy exterior. In fact, it feels like a whole new version of this classic: like Quesadillas 2.0. Here’s how to whip up a pan of baked sheet pan quesadillas that are so good, everyone will be begging for more. (Everyone around our table was: true story!)
How to make quesadillas in the oven
You can use this method to make any type of quesadilla in the oven: fillings are up to you! (Though we’ve shared our favorite filling below with smoked mozzarella…so good!) Here are the basic steps for how to make baked quesadillas instead of using a skillet:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Brush a baking sheet with olive oil. Place tortillas on the sheet (rub them in a bit so they get coated with oil).
- Add toppings, taking care not to overfill!
- Fold over the quesadilla into a half-circle. (This makes it easier to flip.)
- Bake 8 minutes, then flip and bake 6 to 7 minutes more until golden brown. Cut into pieces and serve immediately.
Fillings for baked quesadillas
The key to baked quesadillas: don’t overfill them! The quantities in our recipe below seem small, but trust us: they’re more than enough. You don’t want to deal with fillings falling out all over the sheet pan. Here’s what we used for these quesadillas in the oven, which we think was pretty perfect:
- Smoked mozzarella cheese: the flavor key! It makes this vegetarian quesadilla taste incredible
- Cheddar cheese
- Black beans with spices like cumin, onion powder, garlic powder
- Green onion
- Pico de gallo
This filling was just the right combination of flavors and tasted like a restaurant-style quesadilla (if we do say so ourselves.) Everyone around the table couldn’t stop eating them. Suffice it to say these disappeared very quickly!
Other filling ideas!
What other fillings to use for sheet pan quesadillas in the oven? There are too many ideas to count, so we’ve curated a few of our favorites:
- Make a breakfast quesadilla with scrambled eggs
- Add vegan taco meat
- Try a super food quesadilla with sweet potato, black beans, and spinach
- Go fancy with mushroom and brie quesadillas
- Try Mediterranean-style Greek quesadillas
- Make an avocado quesadilla
Sides to serve with sheet pan quesadillas in the oven
How to make these quesadillas in the oven into a filling healthy dinner recipe? Here are a few of our favorite ways to accessorize it:
- Veggies and chipotle ranch dressing
- Mexican chopped salad (with 3 ingredient taco salad dressing!)
- Tomato avocado salad
- Cilantro lime rice
More easy sheet pan dinners
These sheet pan quesadillas are a fun way to make a quick and easy dinner: throw everything on a sheet pan and use the bake time to clean up and make your side dishes. Here are a few more easy sheet pan dinners we love for weeknights:
- Make this simple Sheet Pan Salmon and Asparagus
- Go for our fan favorite veggie-packed Easy Sheet Pan Dinner
- Make up a big mess of Sheet Pan Nachos!
- Make the classic boil into a Sheet Pan Shrimp Boil in Oven
This quesadilla in the oven recipe is…
Vegetarian. For gluten-free, use grain free tortillas.Print
These baked quesadillas in the oven are easy to make on a sheet pan and have the best crispy exterior! Game changer, right here.
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon each cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and kosher salt
- 1 large or 2 small green onions
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 8 6” tortillas (flour or corn)
- For topping: Guacamole, sour cream, salsa, cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain the rinse the beans, then mix them with the olive oil and seasonings. Thinly slice the green onion.
- Brush a baking sheet with a bit of olive oil. Place the tortillas on the sheet and rub them to coat them in olive oil.
- On each tortilla, place 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon seasoned beans, 1 tablespoon green onion, 2 tablespoons smoked mozzarella, 1 tablespoon pico de gallo, and 1 pinch kosher salt. If desired, add a drizzle of hot sauce. Fold over the tortilla into a half circle (this makes it easy to flip, instead of making full quesadillas with 2 tortillas). Complete for each tortilla, then brush the tops with oil.
- Bake 8 minutes. Then flip and bake 6 to 7 minutes more until browned and crisp on the outside. Cut into 3 wedges each with a pizza cutter. Serve topped with cilantro and sour cream, and with guacamole and extra pico de gallo for dipping.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican inspired
Keywords: Quesadilla in oven, Baked quesadillas, how to make quesadillas in oven, sheet pan quesadillas