Inside: Learn how to make this fresh and delicious guava juice recipe, which is perfect for hot summer days!
Guava juice, or agua de guayaba, is delicious, refreshing, and a great source of vitamin C. It has a great flavor and aroma, and is perfect when you are craving a sweet drink on a warm day. The guava fruit is very popular in Mexico, especially around Christmas time. It can be used in a variety of recipes. Besides this juice, it is also used in lots of desserts and has a very sweet flavor.
What is Guava Juice, or Agua de Guayaba?
Guava juice is a type of “agua fresca” or “fresh water,” which are very common in Mexico and are made by combining fresh fruit with water and sugar. You can find many different varieties in Mexico, including strawberry (fresa), canteloupe (melon), watermelon (sandia), and many more!
It is such a simple recipe, but it always hits the spot. Where I grew up in Mexico, it is very hot and humid year-round. There is nothing like a delicious agua fresca made with guava or your other favorite fruit after spending a lot of time outside.
The guava fruit is a small, round fruit with a yellowish color. There is also a pink variety, but the yellow guava is more common. I chose to use the yellow guava fruit for this recipe because it is what I have always used, but you can use the pink version too if you prefer.
How do you make Guava Juice?
Like I said, this is a simple recipe. All you need are the following ingredients:
- 1 pound of ripe guava fruit
- 1 cup of sugar (you can use less if you want it less sweet)
- 8 cups of water
Start by washing the guava fruit, and cutting off the ends of each one. Then cut them into 4 parts and put them in a blender with 2 cups of water and the sugar and blend well.
Next, strain the mixture into a large pitcher, using a wooden spoon to move it around so you get as much of the liquid as possible. Add the rest of the water and more sugar if desired, and then finish it off with ice. That is all, now you have a delicious agua fresca to enjoy with your family!
Check out these other tasty beverages.
- Authentic Mexican Horchata That You Can Make At Home
- Horchata de Coco (Coconut Horchata)
- The Best Made-From-Scratch Strawberry Lemonade
- The Best Virgin Piña Colada Recipe (Piñada)
- Hibiscus Tea Recipe (Agua de Jamaica)
Fresh Guava Juice (Agua de Guayava)
- 1 lb guava fruit
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- Wash the guava fruit and cut off the ends of each. Cut into four pieces each.
- Add to a blender with 2 cups of water and the sugar, blend well.
- Strain the mixture into a pitcher and add the rest of the water and sugar.
- Add ice and serve cold!